"You know, if there was [sic] no such thing as the written word, I'd be telling stories on street corners."

---------Harold Robbins



Wednesday, August 3, 2011

WHEN PROTESTS ARE IGNORED

Get beyond the idea of the media. Do something they can't ignore.

In the Miami/Ft lauderdale market there have been MoveOn and other protests where hundreds of people showed up and no media coverage. At one large protest a local station [The locals are Network owned] sent a team that did over an hour's worth of taping with inteviews. It ended up as a 20 second piece just before the commercal break leading into the sports roundup on the 11 PM News.

As Boss Tweed said: "In politices the first thing is money; I forget what the second is."

I have been campaigning for a "NO SHOPPING DAY" on the 1st Saturday of each month. This will work. On Tuesday Aug 2nd the Consumer Spending report showed a decline of 00.2%. The Dow fell over 265 points! YEAH! It does get attention.

If even 20% of the public quit spending money -- in malls, on line, and paying bills --on the 1st Saturday of each month, things would begin to change. The reasons for the 1st Saturday are twofold: [1] It is easy to remember, and [2] there are more complex economic reasons that would give this act maximum impact, but would be beyond the scope of this post.

THINK!! ACT!!!

The secret of getting things done is to act!
Dante Alighieri

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I came over here from NY Times comments section as I really liked your comment to Nocera's column. I like your ideas here as well! You should write to Schultz--your idea it more workable and if he liked it, he could do a lot to spread it.

    I, too, have been campaigning for some type of financial impact on the moneyed class--boycotts, etc., and I've had a very similar experience with the Democrats and their donation solicitations. I only support individual candidates now--and a few Progressive groups, such as Russ Feingold's Bold Progressives.

    I've put you on my Bookmarks Bar and will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete